+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cobb Tuning OTS Maps at altitude

HAI Premium Member newt2 is on a distinguished road newt2's Avatar

Cobb Tuning OTS Maps at altitude

Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 2011 STi that came with the Accessport. I figure several of you are using these on your subby and might be able to answer some questions.

If\when you were just stage 1, what map did you use? 91 or 93 octane? I know we only get 91 around here, but it's my understanding that's only because 93 isn't required at this altitude. Does that translate into being able to run the 93 map up here, or should I stick with the 91 map?

Reliability, how is it running stage 1 only? I've heard of people having issues and others that say it's fine. I probably won't change out parts for quite some time so that's not a concern for now.

General use, if any of you ran stage 1 at this altitude, how did the car run with the OTS map?

Thanks,

Patrick
    2011 WRX STi

HAI Premium Member Richard T
    I ran with the stage 1 map on my LGT for a month or so before getting parts installed and tuned. Unfortunately, I can't recall which octane map I used. Frankly I don't even recall it being an option.

It was a noticeable bump in power and ran as smooth as stock, iirc, if not better. I guess my experience disclaimer would be that this was over 4 years ago on an LGT.
    '05 Legacy GT wagon 5MT

HAI Premium Member Pang is an unknown quantity at this point
    Hey Pat,
    I've been on the ots high wastegate duty stage 2 91 map on my 2011 for about a year now, no issues. I went with the high duty map since it wasn't hitting target boost that the stage 2 is suppose to.

I didn't feel much of a difference with stage 1.

Congrats and enjoy!
    S2000 10.8 @ 137...more to come
    R35 GTR ...
    335i xdrive daily...
    Mdx ... Kid shuttle

Thanks Guys.

I think I'll stick with the 91 octane map. Better to be safe and lose a couple of hp than blow a piston. Not that I expect that to happen, I think the altitude gives a bit of a buffer against what seems to be a not uncommon failure of these cars. I can't be sure of course but I base that on what I've seen over the years with other mile high turbo cars. Also I' ve done a lot of looking on the local boards (here and awdpirates) and I can only find one instance of blown ringlands and that was on a car making 344 to the wheels on a stock bottom end.
    2011 WRX STi

The dude abides john has a spectacular aura about john has a spectacular aura about john's Avatar
    I ran an off the shelf stage 2 map 91 octane and my only mod was a catback exhaust. The car liked it. Currently stage STFU and it made 435 awhp on a dyno in Colorado Springs, 100% stock longblock, still have the TGVs installed and on the stock "header". I modded it at 38k miles and the odometer just turned 73k.

I was tuned by Adam at Revolutions for 91 and e85, and I still use those maps down here at 900 ft ASL.

These motors are stout.
    -----------

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable. -JFK

win-less - \'win - les\ : 1) being without or lacking win, 2) the absence of win

http://jsalmi.com/images/car_plus_boost_equals_smile.png

Thanks John, your results make me feel a lot better. You read those national Subaru boards and you get the impression that these things are a time bomb, but that goes against everything I've ever known about Subarus.

I think what's really going on is that there are always a few failures with any car, plus there are a lot of people who can blow anything up. I know they also had a recall on the ECU for the 08' STi, which really just adds fuel to the speculative fire.
    2011 WRX STi

HAI Premium Member Bedlam is on a distinguished road Bedlam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newt2 View Post
    there are always a few failures with any car, plus there are a lot of people who can blow anything up
    Best AND worst thing about internet forums. Surprised to see you posting around here again..welcome back!

The dude abides john has a spectacular aura about john has a spectacular aura about john's Avatar
    Take legacygt.com advice with a grain of salt - way too many clueless modders end up with broken cars. In my not so humble opinion, it's all in the tune. Trust your gut, and enjoy the ride. Use a trusted tuner and the car will be pretty happy.

The earlier models (mine, for example) had issues with the oil pickup line in the pan. Welds cracking/failing resulting in oil starvation & blown motors. The Killer B oil pickup has been the preferred mod for this issue, which Subaru seems to ignore.

As an aside, on my way home from the airport tonight a modded SRT-4 wanted to play. Once he was shown what stage STFU is capable of he took the next possible exit.
    -----------

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable. -JFK

win-less - \'win - les\ : 1) being without or lacking win, 2) the absence of win

HAI Premium Member Richard T
    Good God. I checked out of the boards a little while back. I knew you were making some nice power, but I didn't realize you made 435 on a dyno dynamics. Where's the swinging from your nuts smiley?
    '05 Legacy GT wagon 5MT

[sic] gtolio is on a distinguished road gtolio's Avatar
    I lol'd at Stage STFU. I'm going to try to get my car there at some point.

for all of your Honda and Acura Performance Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Richard T View Post
    Good God. I checked out of the boards a little while back. I knew you were making some nice power, but I didn't realize you made 435 on a dyno dynamics. Where's the swinging from your nuts smiley?
    The 435 was on a Mustang dyno. On the Dyno Dynamics it was pretty much locked in to 400/400 at 20psi. For the Mustang run I was at 22-23psi, 91 octane with a couple gallons of E85 blended in for good measure. 435 awhp and 464 awtq.

And yes - the car is much fun. Nothing like the Supra, but still much fun.

The obligatory nutswinger:
    -----------

+ Reply to Thread