+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does registration need to be current to sell car?

XR4Ti Crew SlamMan is an unknown quantity at this point SlamMan's Avatar

Does registration need to be current to sell car?

My tags recently expired on my car. I'm selling it soon so unless the registration needs to be current for me to sell it I don't want to pay it. Anyone know for sure one way or another?

HAI Premium Member Weston is on a distinguished road Weston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SlamMan
    My tags recently expired on my car. I'm selling it soon so unless the registration needs to be current for me to sell it I don't want to pay it. Anyone know for sure one way or another?
    Nope, it doesn't even have be registered. All you do is fill out the back of the title with the buyer's info and sign it.

If the front of your title doesn't list your name (ie it's just signed over to you on the back), then you need to go to the DMV and get a new title in your name, and then you can sign it over to the buyer. They can sometimes print one up on the spot, but if they have to mail it, you'll be waiting forever (I'm still waiting on one from mid-August). So in that case, you might as well bring the buyer to the DMV with you and have them issue the new title in his name.
    2014 Chevy Corvette Z51 2LT
    1995 Acura Integra LS
    2001 Honda RC51

Past cashburners: C6 Corvette, Nissan 350z Touring, Porsche 944 race car, Acura Integra LS-Turbo

HAI Premium Member scoobyworx scoobyworx's Avatar
    it doesnt matter if its registered, they are going to have to get it registered when they get insurance and plates anyways..

XR4Ti Crew SlamMan is an unknown quantity at this point SlamMan's Avatar
    Thanks guys.

HAI Premium Member Kwando will become famous soon enough Kwando's Avatar
    My question is if i buy a car can i just change the title over to my name and not register the car? I will be parting it out
    ~Simon~

Quote Originally Posted by Kwando
    My question is if i buy a car can i just change the title over to my name and not register the car? I will be parting it out
    Yup, sure can. You'll still have to pay the sales tax for purchasing it, but not any registration fees.
    1995 Acura Integra LS
    2001 Honda RC51

Past cashburners: C6 Corvette, Nissan 350z Touring, Porsche 944 race car, Acura Integra LS-Turbo

HAI Premium Member scoobyworx scoobyworx's Avatar
    wow. learn something new everyday.

Yeah, I've been through the joys of buying, fixing, and registering a salvaged vehicle, so I learned a few things... I had to go to the DMV several times to mess with the title a few times, get a 24-hour registration, inspections, more temp tags, and so on.
    1995 Acura Integra LS
    2001 Honda RC51

HAI Premium Member Kwando will become famous soon enough Kwando's Avatar
    Thanks
    ~Simon~

The dude abides john has a spectacular aura about john has a spectacular aura about john's Avatar
    Not registered, but I believe that (at least here in Colorado) the seller must include current emissions testing results with the sale. And the car has to have passed the smog test,
    -----------

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent revolution inevitable. -JFK

win-less - \'win - les\ : 1) being without or lacking win, 2) the absence of win

http://jsalmi.com/images/car_plus_boost_equals_smile.png

HAI Premium Member djet820 is an unknown quantity at this point
    Quote Originally Posted by john
    Not registered, but I believe that (at least here in Colorado) the seller must include current emissions testing results with the sale. And the car has to have passed the smog test,
    When I bought my car 4 or so months ago, the guy didn't give me any emissions stuff.

HAI Premium Member SleeperZ is an unknown quantity at this point SleeperZ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djet820
    When I bought my car 4 or so months ago, the guy didn't give me any emissions stuff.
    This is not a legal requirement that is faithfully observed. I buy and sell cars without even thinking about emissions, don't really care. As a matter of fact, all the dealerships will do is give you a voucher for a free emissions test - whoopee.
    1978 Datsun 280Z 12.86 @ 110.5, 313 rwhp, 419 torque, 16 psi.
    1983 Benz 240D turbo 100% vegetable power.

The revolution will not be televised.

HAI Premium Member ryanman is an unknown quantity at this point ryanman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SleeperZ
    As a matter of fact, all the dealerships will do is give you a voucher for a free emissions test - whoopee.
    Nononono, a car MUST be emissioned tested and must pass BEFORE a car dealership can deliver it to you.
    2003 Cobra
    2010 Raptor

HAI Premium Member LeonZ will become famous soon enough LeonZ's Avatar
    when i bought my car, they sent me a passed emission coupon to mail with registration.

3 Hund stu has a spectacular aura about stu has a spectacular aura about stu has a spectacular aura about
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanman
    Nononono, a car MUST be emissioned tested and must pass BEFORE a car dealership can deliver it to you.

No they don't. If it can pass emissions they sometimes will give you a coupon slip, or if they don't want to even bother paying for it, they sell it to you as a tow away vehicle. That's how I bought my Beetle from Medved.
    ZOMG

+ Reply to Thread