PDA

View Full Version : I hate the vortex

BoraTurbo
08-13-2002, 12:58 AM
all they do on there is flame people. screw that shit.

john
08-13-2002, 07:44 AM
What is 'the vortex'? I was expecting something about a supercharger....

SC-MECHAM-WS6
08-13-2002, 08:40 AM
???

2002jettavr6
08-13-2002, 08:43 AM
are you talking about www.vwvortex.com adn they do suck

Maxximtl
08-13-2002, 09:24 AM
I have mixed feelings about that place. The main problem is that there is a strong popular opinion there. People defend/criticize certain things just because that is what everyone else thinks. There is no individualism there.....everyone is trying to be part of the gang. The whole FMIC and BOV hating thing is not based on fact. People flame them because thats the "cool" thing to do. 99% of the people who flame FMIC's, BOV's and Nitrous have never used them. 99% of the people who have used those products whole heartedly recommend them.

I hope Troy didn't take it personally. He deserves a lot of praise and respect for what he has done with his car. Maybe some of those guys would shut up if he lined up next to them at the track. :D

nolimitsoldier
08-13-2002, 11:32 AM
It sucks because there's a lot of good knowledge on there, and 98% of the people are dicks on there...

shane
08-13-2002, 12:04 PM
i just looked over their site, did a search for "fmic" just to see what they had to say. i have to ask, present company excluded, do have to be an IDIOT to own a VW???? is it in the contract somewhere that one must act like a frigging tard in order to own this vehicle?? that is THE most stupid shit i have read. if you think a FMIC is rice then you should have your turbo shoved up your ass hot exhaust first! some poor guy talks of the problems he has with his car and the dealer and some dickwad jumps him about false claims.

my favorite is most of the people on there admit that they have more than a few problems with their car, but think it is better than anything else cause of german reliability. WTF!!

i wonder of we could get all those members together in one place and rid our society of these inbreds.

Brian
08-13-2002, 12:23 PM
I agree shane. Beingt that I have owned several different cars I have a fairly broad grasp of each groups attitude. I would have to say that I dislike the VW crowd the most. On the forums they spend the whole time whining about a little rattle they have in the back of their car or how their cars are the end all of everything automotive. That's why I stick to asking questions here in our small group. None of our vw group here seems to have fallen to the level of the mass that I see at VWvortex.

What gets me is how much they bash honda's over there. yes a lot of ricers drive honda's (same with vw), but if it wasn't for honda the import scene wouldn't be what it is today plain and simple. There would be 5 FWD full race drag cars and they would all run 11's...lol. With that said i'm glad we have the members that we do here, and i'm lucky to have this group of people to talk with and bullshit about cars :D

steps down from podium......

exciv2000
08-13-2002, 12:32 PM
If you took away all the rental agencies, honda is the top most sellingest car manufacturer for the past 13 years! I think I read somewhere that they are the largest producer of engines in the world too (not just cars, but boat engines, lawnmower, ATV, motorcycle, generator, etc.).

Maxximtl
08-13-2002, 12:38 PM
It is funny when you run across contridictions like that. Vw's are the best cars in the world until something goes wrong with them. Then they become Yugo's. They say intakes do nothing for you, but everyone with a CAI makes some power. Heat soak is bad, but FMIC's are rice. hahaha. If APR sold a FMIC kit (which I believe they will be soon,) no one would talk down on intercoolers. I've noticed things have to become mainstream before the vortexer's are willing to accept it.

Thats what I like about you guys. You don't buy into the hype and nonsense that is spread over on vortex. It's all about what works and what doesn't.

Brian
08-13-2002, 12:44 PM
Yeah the intake battle really got me. "the stock airbox is the best thing in the world, why would vw use it if it wasnt't the best". Well emissions for one, sound for number 2. Have none of them looked at the airbox? It draws all of teh air for the engine through a vent less than 2 inches in diameter, then it has a hot air flap when you are unter WOT. From there it goes into the worst air filter I have seen being a paper filter sandwiched under a foam filter. How is a modified car going to pull enough air to make 21 psi of boost from that thing....lol. Then they dispute the dyno's of people who have gained 14 or so hp and an equal amount of tq from an aftermarket intake....

Maxximtl
08-13-2002, 01:24 PM
The 1.8T's intake tract is HORRID. My Sentra was far superior. It had a 3" MAF and piping from the factory. Even the box itself seemed to be better designed.

As soon as I get a dremel tool, I am gonna be doing the Chris ghetto airbox mod to open up the "snorkle" area of the box. Doing the ITG on its own didn't help me much at all.

nolimitsoldier
08-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Thinking about MAF, has anyone done a MAF alcohol bath on there's yet??

hi2u
08-13-2002, 02:15 PM
You know the only good thing I can say about the whoretex is that there is tons of information on it.

But, I really can't stand a lot of the people over there. I think the biggest issue is that people over there just get jealous and their ego's get bruised too easily.

Especially that wannarunthatshit guy.

He's like "yeah good job on the run....but seriously you suck". That was a paraphrase, but read what he said about Troy and you'll see. He needs to go out and run a 12.5 before he opens his fucking mouth.

That's what I like about all you guys is that you don't talk shit about other peoples cars without being able to beat them.

Props to teh hai people :)

nolimitsoldier
08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
CF hoods are another fun topic over there...I kinda feel bad when newbies go on and ask a question about DV/BOV's and CF hoods, crap like that...I always try to answer newbie questions so they don't get flamed quite as bad...

Maxximtl
08-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Did you read what that wannarunthatshit guy posted on 20vturbo.com? He's all "I could hook up a 25 shot and run 12's on my car as it sits." I was like...mmmmkay, if you believe that...whatever. He obviously has no clue that it isn't quite that easy.

02GTI1.8t
08-13-2002, 03:38 PM
the vortex is good for information on products etc... but most of the people are;gay; and have no minds of their own. its sad how much crap they talk and how much they flame newbies because they dont know the difference between a bov and dv and other stupid stuff like that. It really ticks me off when they take the time to tell someone to use the search and flame them a bit when in the same amount of time they could have just anwsered the guys question. Every other vw owner Ive meet in colorado has been really cool, and maybe the people on the vortex are too when their not behind their computers. the need to get a mind of their own and stop following everyone else

g60dontrun
08-13-2002, 09:19 PM
I bet thats how it is in the 1.8t foums. But I stay in the a2 and older forums and everyone has been very helpfull and cool about all the questions I ask. It all depends on where you post. There are probly a lot of young kids in the 1.8t forum, most of the people in the a2 forums are usually older and know that flaming and shit like that is just gay.

nolimitsoldier
08-13-2002, 09:45 PM
I think from now on I'm gonna start being an ass on vortex to all of the people that act that way, hell, I can always do a new account if they ban me, hehe

TedR719
08-14-2002, 02:27 AM
I've ran a few guys in the Springs with White Jetta's curising one night. They both were pretty cool about even after I beat them.

Just SO many people try to front it's bad, hell I dont know everything about my car but sure as hell learned alot when working on it.

Let them floss their flashy wheels, wings, lights, and anything APC makes. :D One day they will learn, or at least I hope

2000SiVTEC
08-14-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by futuresi
I've ran a few guys in the Springs with White Jetta's curising one night. They both were pretty cool about even after I beat them.

Just SO many people try to front it's bad, hell I dont know everything about my car but sure as hell learned alot when working on it.

Let them floss their flashy wheels, wings, lights, and anything APC makes. :D One day they will learn, or at least I hope

I've got a white Jetta you can race, I will even put it on the stock program if you want:p

Just kidding dude I have to give you a hard time...........

Genesis
02-05-2003, 08:27 AM
seems like the flaming syndrom is spreading out here as well. unless one can prove with empirical data that a specific part is to credit for power gains - it's all talk. That said, I own a Velocity intake which I have not unstalled. I have a K&N drop in filter instead (since about 5000 miles on the clock), which did add an audible, but not unbearable, whistle when letting off throttle. Before purchasing the Velocity I did extensive research and came up with enough information leading me to believe that the stock airbox was very well constucted and some companies had seen power loss during their research compared to it. Whether I'll see some gains frm the Velocity - we'll see. I'll try to dyno stock and with the Velocity. that should settle it at least for me.

WagN2NR
02-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Nice 5000nth post B!

Matt Topo
02-05-2003, 10:14 AM
first of all everything bad said about vortex can potentially be said about every other site.

honda guys go to a vw board... of course SOME people are gonna start shit.

vw guys go to a nissan board... same thing.

i DO however agree that vortex is a lump of crap. having been banned there at least twice, i think the moderators are running a facist nazi regime of a website.

generally the ENTIRE vw community (other than the owners themselves) look down on the 1.8T. VR6 guys talk shit to 1.8T's. 2.0's talk shit to 1.8T's. especially on vortex. why? because it's a good solid engine that's very easy to mod and gets great numbers. jealousy? maybe. actually, definitely. trust me, i went from a heavily modified 1.8T to a '96 2.0, i hate everything about this engine compared to my 1.8T.

now the following said;

It is funny when you run across contridictions like that. Vw's are the best cars in the world until something goes wrong with them. Then they become Yugo's. They say intakes do nothing for you, but everyone with a CAI makes some power. Heat soak is bad, but FMIC's are rice. hahaha. If APR sold a FMIC kit (which I believe they will be soon,) no one would talk down on intercoolers. I've noticed things have to become mainstream before the vortexer's are willing to accept it.

that's actually a contradiction itself. it was APR who suggested not to use an aftermarket intake because the stock intake was very well designed.

as for wannarunthatshit, shit i'd be as cocky as he is if i could run (ran) my car like that. do you know how many challenges retards make to him all across these message boards? he gets threats from Civic DX's pushing a 50 shot to Supercharged 5.0's. he may be blunt about things, but Drew knows his stuff.

just throwing in my 2 cents, no offense intended.

Matt Topo
02-05-2003, 10:16 AM
oh just in case no one believes me,

K&N Air Filter

After extensive testing APR has found that contrary to popular belief, Volkswagen did a very good job of designing the factory airbox in your car. Because of this, APR recommends just a high-flow, factory-replacement K&N air filter for your car.

http://www.goapr.com/VW/products/kandn.html

MotoMannequin
02-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by 02GTI1.8t
It really ticks me off when they take the time to tell someone to use the search and flame them a bit when in the same amount of time they could have just anwsered the guys question.

What you say seems to make sense - until you're asked the same question multiple times per day for several weeks straight, then you start asking yourself, "why is it my job to type this same info over and over" and everybody else on the board starts asking themself the same thing. IMO it makes more sense for anybody to do a little reading before they speak.

It has nothing to do with being gay. :confused:

Originally posted by g60dontrun
in the a2 and older forums and everyone has been very helpfull and cool about all the questions I ask. It all depends on where you post. There are probly a lot of young kids in the 1.8t forum

This is really the issue - and hits the nail on the head. The 1.8t is gaining an excellent reputation, and seems to be cheap enough for kids to own. So you get flaming, immaturity, you name it. So then what happens is that all 1.8t drivers get lumped into one large category.

Anyway, I can say unequivocally that the cars VW is making nowadays are some of the worst crap to ever roll off an assembly line. The cars are wonderful to drive, when they're running. If any VW owner tells you differently, you can immediately assume you're talking to someone who's either dishonest, delusional, or mentally retarded. Spread the word...

02GTI1.8t
02-05-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by MotoMannequin
What you say seems to make sense - until you're asked the same question multiple times per day for several weeks straight, then you start asking yourself, "why is it my job to type this same info over and over" and everybody else on the board starts asking themself the same thing. IMO it makes more sense for anybody to do a little reading before they speak.

It has nothing to do with being gay. :confused:

wow,back from the dead. you do realize this is 6 months old right....

thats cool man, do what every you want. I have better things to do than flame a newbie but whatever. I'll just ignore it and go on with my life, no reason to even respond to the dumb questions IMO. I do agree people should do some research before they post but im not gonna flame someone because they dont. we were all newbies once and ask dumb questions be it in person or on the internet. some of us did research to anwser our own questions and the other lazy people just straight out ask.

I know your getting defensive because people here dont like drew or whatever. thats understandable i guess. people have different point of views, were not gonna agree on everything, thats life.

I bet someone has already posted something about this on 20v turbo, and im sure theyll all be over shortly.

nolimitsoldier
02-05-2003, 01:17 PM
Good lord, this thread is back???...

MotoMannequin
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by 02GTI1.8t
I bet someone has already posted something about this on 20v turbo, and im sure theyll all be over shortly.

Yes, you have remarkable powers of observation Mr. 02 :D

02GTI1.8t
02-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by MotoMannequin
Yes, you have remarkable powers of observation Mr. 02 :D

why thank you;) :cool:

Brian
02-05-2003, 05:12 PM
Wow, this was from back in the day. I think I had just bought my 1.8t when this was written. Oh and to respond to the replies I read on 20v about this thread. No one here claims that turbo cars take a big hit from elevation. Nor do we say it's only a 10th. The truth is there are a lot of variables. The turbo's efficiency, size, ect must all be taken into account. Turbo cars do lose much less power up here due to the fact that the wastegate can somewhat compensate for barometric pressure. Now what is fact is that an N/A car does take a 1 second or more hit up here. The NHRA agrees with this and has elevation correction charts for N/A cars avaliable on many websites. Supercharged cars suffer the same losses due to them being driven off of the engine itself. A great driver in a Z06 turns a 13.5-13.8 1/4 mile. I've seen dozens run. We have a few vw's on the board that run 14.0-14.1, so it's very believeable to say a vw can beat or at least hang with a z06 at this elevation. This is why we bought turbo cars up here. It gives us a competative edge over cars that would walk all over us at sea level. I'm sure a lot of you still wont believe me, but i'll post some video's once the track opens back up this spring :)

BoraTurbo
02-05-2003, 05:18 PM
yeah, i take 2002 c5 vettes all the time along with ws6's and such and NO ONE ever believes me. at least people from sea level

d773hf82jhf721hf